Saturday, October 22, 2016

Thorens TD-160 Turntable







My Thorens TD-160 got a brand new, reproduction dust cover today. There's a nice gentleman in Torrance, CA who makes these and sells on CraigsList for $100, which I think is a fair price for a clear acrylic, well-fitting dust cover. The cartridge is a Shure V15 Type II and the stylus is a Shure VN-7, both have only a few hours of use - were bought as NOS off eBay by the previous owner this past summer. 

How does it sound? It sounds right. Meaning, when I take into account the system into which it's integrated and the room in which it's playing, it sounds the way I would expect it to sound. I'm not being intentionally obtuse - it's just that by me saying it sounds "great" I'm simply describing a subjective, non-referenced opinion that really means nothing to the reader. I can tell you that it sounds better than my other turntable hooked to the same, Sansui AU-717 integrated amplifier. It sounds better than the AR-XA turntable I had up in the listening space a few weeks ago... at least I think it does. It sounds different than MP3 files through the same amp or FLAC files. But yes, if you must hear these words, it sounds great! And it really, really does. :)




1 comment:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin