Monday, April 27, 2020

Pioneer SX-850 - Vintage Receiver








This lovely Pioneer has been sitting on a shelf for over two years, covered, of course, with only the finest Peruvian Llama fleece and kept temperature controlled and humidity free. You'd have to see my storage unit to fully appreciate the sarcasm here. At any rate, I had stowed it away because it had some sort of problem, but, after playing continually for two days straight, I haven't been able to duplicate any of its ailments. Quite honestly, I don't remember what the problem(s) were, so perhaps I'm speaking prematurely.... 

Maybe it was ME who had the problem two years ago and I should have been the one relegated to a garage shelf. It's too late to debate that now... carrying on...

At a modest 65 watts per channel, this 1976 beauty outputs clean, natural sound. All dial and indicator lights are working, which is a rarity for gear this old. The cabinet is in exceptional condition. I'll try a turntable and the tuner later this week, as time permits. Keep an eye open for an update. 

Here's what ClassicReceivers.com has to say about this model:  https://classicreceivers.com/pioneer-sx-850

For those interested, my Facebook HiFiCollector group is topping off at over 5K members now and I encourage people to post photos of their gear there, so... what are you waiting for? :)  www.facebook.com/hificollector





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin