Thursday, May 14, 2009

Power Amplifier - Marantz 240



Picked up a rare, black-faced Marantz 240 power amplifier about six months ago, and my back hasn’t been the same since. But seriously, beyond its weight, this was a nice-sounding amplifier. At 120 watts per channel, it wasn’t a monster, but still packed enough power to impress the neighbors.

How did it sound? To me, and again, no opportunity for a side-by-side listening test, it sounded just fine. I was using a newer Adcom preamp with it, and those together worked quite well, sonically-speaking.

Have any stories or photos of your Marantz 240? Please leave a comment or send me an email.

Want to hook up your iPod to your vintage stereo? Visit my Audio Accessory Store for some great values!

HiFiCollector.com Mugs, Hats, T-Shirts! Come visit our store on CafePress!

2 comments:

  1. I am awaiting the 240 I just purchased on eBay and wondered if you had any insight on the ideal speakers. I have a pair of Marantz Imperial 7's and a pair of ESSAMT II's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speakers are a very personal decision, so I'd ask first if you have room for full-size speakers, or if you'd like to go with a bookshelf/subwoofer system. There are plenty of contemporary speakers out there that sound great. What's your price range?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin