Sunday, August 2, 2009

Tube Tuner - Dyna FM3



Picked this up at a thrift store about three years ago and it's been sitting on my gear shelf - unnoticed, unused. In an effort to recoup some of the money I spent on the Hales Revelation 3 speakers, I started looking at gear I had that I could sell.

I plugged this little tube tuner in with the intention of testing, photographing and selling it, then realized it was pulling in stations clearer than my faithful Sansui TU-517 tuner using the same antenna! Our local classical station always has hiss and interference on the Sansui, but not this Dyna; same with our local college-run jazz station - clear as a bell on this puppy! Honestly, it takes an amplified indoor FM antenna to get my McIntosh tuner to bring in stations this clearly.

Not only clear reception, but gorgeous sound! I'm not going to get into the whole tube vs solid state debate here, but I will say this: Next to the McIntosh MR 7083, this is my favorite tuner in my collection! Love the way the segmented signal meter depicts signal strength by fading segments from the center - out. Very cool.

These can be found regularly on eBay for less than $100. Many require rebuilding, but I've also seen some listed as "working fine." Go grab yourself one! This one is staying with me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin